COVID-19 has disrupted seemingly each facet of our private and enterprise lives. One outstanding change for a lot of companies is the sheer quantity of staff who at the moment are working remotely. For any function relevant, companies shifted to distant work out of necessity when the virus hit. This has shifted hiring practices in some ways, from video interviews to altering job duties.
One adjustment for employers and recruiters is that extra focus could also be wanted on the kinds of abilities that permit a person to work properly remotely. Whereas most employers have discovered that distant working has labored higher than anticipated, it doesn’t imply there isn’t a shift in how staff perform once they’re not all in the identical area. Excelling at working remotely requires particular abilities.
Listed here are just a few of the traits employers ought to search for when hiring somebody who can be working remotely some or all the time:
- Nice communication abilities
- Emotional intelligence
- The flexibility to speak successfully, each verbally and in writing
- Inside motivation, with out the necessity for shut supervision
- Good work ethic
- Flexibility (Whereas routines are useful in distant work, it’s good to have somebody who can improvise when issues change.)
- Willingness to search out options to issues with out coworker help when wanted; resourceful nature
- Excessive degree of consolation with the usual expertise required for the job (IT often received’t be on-site, even when issues happen.)
- Time-management abilities and an understanding of how finest to prioritize work
- Willingness to study new abilities and new software program or processes as wanted
- Skill to keep away from distractions within the absence of supervision
- Consolation making choices independently when wanted
- Good at teamwork, even when the staff is just not collectively
- Trustworthiness, reliability, and accountability
Whereas research have proven that distant staff are simply as, if no more, productive than once they’re on the workplace, it could’t harm to particularly search for the talents that permit somebody to achieve success in that surroundings. These are a number of the abilities that may assist somebody be environment friendly and productive when working remotely.
Different Recruiting Course of Adjustments
To efficiently recruit individuals who can be working remotely, it additionally pays to know what different modifications to make to the recruiting course of. For instance, a job submit that reveals a particular location might not even be seen by somebody who’s searching for a distant function. Contemplate posting to job boards that permit “distant” as a location or that don’t require a location to be designated. When that’s not an possibility, guarantee the truth that the job is distant is featured prominently within the job submit. (Conversely, if hiring for an in-person function, be sure you be aware that, as properly, as many roles posted in the present day are assumed to be distant.) Word how the rest of the recruiting course of can be performed, similar to by means of videoconference or phone, in order that candidates know what to anticipate as they progress.