In at present’s recruiting surroundings, employers which can be hiring are encountering the identical acquainted hiring conundrums. A problem some employers battle with is what to do when a clearly overqualified candidate applies for a job opening they’re trying to fill.
Must you not interview the particular person due to the chance she or he will depart when one thing higher comes alongside, or do you have to rent the particular person and hope she or he will likely be a real asset and shortly develop into new roles at your organization?
To reply this query—or at the very least add extra meals for thought—let’s take a look at some professionals and cons to bringing this particular person on board.
Listed here are some advantages to hiring somebody overqualified:
- The particular person could require much less coaching and thus attain full productiveness ranges faster than another person would, that means coaching prices could also be lowered.
- This particular person could also be positioned to advance shortly within the group, which could be a win-win, serving to with succession planning and worker improvement packages.
- This particular person’s expertise could convey a distinct perspective to the position.
Listed here are some potential drawbacks to this example:
- An overqualified particular person could also be a turnover threat in case your group can not give her or him the challenges and the position she or he is best-suited for shortly sufficient.
- Even when the particular person doesn’t depart, there’s a threat she or he will likely be sad within the position; a dissatisfied worker could shortly develop into much less engaged and even a burden on morale over time.
- Present staff could worry their jobs could also be in danger if a better-qualified particular person joins the crew. This ought to be mitigated via good communication.
- Though this particular person could require much less coaching, it’s doable his or her earlier position didn’t present sufficient coaching to maintain up with present traits. This will likely not find yourself being a profit, as the person could have to unlearn earlier strategies.
- Your payroll price range could must be adjusted to accommodate a extra skilled particular person’s expectations.
What’s your normal recruiting coverage when encountering overqualified candidates? Does your group usually interview these people and attempt to convey them on board, or are you extra cautious of the dangers?
It’s supreme to evaluate these conditions on a case-by-case foundation. In spite of everything, whether or not some or all of those dangers are an element comes right down to the person in query. Take into account interviewing an overqualified applicant and asking about his or her objectives and wishes, and see what the solutions inform you—and whether or not the group may also help the particular person obtain these objectives.